Conor McGregor announces retirement

Conor McGregor steals the show once again. UFC 250 took place last Saturday night at the UFC Apex facility in Las Vegas. Shortly after an incredible night of fights, Conor McGregor tweeted his retirement again. 

Conor tweeted, “Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting. Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been! Here is a picture of myself and my mother in Las Vegas post one of my World title wins! Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you! Whatever you desire it’s yours.”

This is the third time Conor announces his retirement. Previously, he announced his retirement in 2016 and 2019.  

Was this a marketing stunt by the “Notorious?” What a better way to stay relevant than to tweet retirement after a big night of fights. Many believe this was the case and fans are skeptical of his intentions to retire.

Conor later stated his reasons for retirement. On Sunday morning, McGregor told ESPN that he has lost his excitement for the sport.

“The game just does not excite me, and that’s that,” McGregor said. “All this waiting around. There’s nothing happening. I’m going through opponent options, and there’s nothing really there at the minute. There’s nothing that’s exciting me.

“They should have just kept the ball rolling. I mean, why are they pushing [Khabib vs. Justin Gaethje] back to September? You know what’s going to happen in September, something else is going to happen in September, and that’s not going to happen.

I laid out a plan and a method that was the right move, the right methods to go with. And they always want to balk at that and not make it happen or just drag it on. Whatever I say, they want to go against it to show some kind of power. They should have just done the fight — me and Justin for the interim title — and just kept the ball rolling.”

McGregor, 31, said he had written a draft of his retirement tweet two weeks ago and was “just tired” of the sport.

“I’m a bit bored of the game,” he told ESPN. “I’m here watching the fight. I watched the last show — the [Tyron Woodley vs. Gilbert Burns] show — I watched the show tonight. I’m just not excited about the game, Ariel. I don’t know if it’s no crowd. I don’t know what it is. There’s just no buzz for me.”

Many of the UFC’s top fights have threatened or announced retirement. Jon Jones tweeted he would sit out.

Henry Cejudo announced his retirement citing lack of pay for the reason. Jorge Masvidal has also asked to be released from the UFC.

Will more top fighters follow? Just within few weeks span the UFC may have lost 4 of the biggest draws in the sport.

Can the UFC bring conor out of retirement? Will this be the last of the former double champion? 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *